Director of Retail and Events
Posted 4 months 26 days ago by More Than Words
MORE THAN WORDS SEEKS a business minded, creative, motivated and detail-oriented Director to lead operations for our South End bookstore, social enterprise marketplace, and dynamic event space. If you love working with people, staying up to date on current industry trends, creating amazing customer and client experiences through events and visual displays, and have a knack for motivating teams to reach and exceed goals, this is the perfect position for you. Your creativity and experience will be fully utilized to grow the success of our 4,000 square foot bookstore and event space in the South End of Boston, as well as further develop youth job skills to empower our youth staff to take charge of their lives by taking charge of a business.
MTW is an exemplary organization that has continually held up a mirror to identify areas for improvement and accountability; that ethic is part of the culture and fabric of MTW and it extends to our commitment to ensure our staff and board reflect the racial and ethnic diversity and lived experiences of the young adults we are privileged to serve.
REPORTING TO the Site Director, the Director of Retail & Events will have the following essential functions -
Retail Management and Visual Marketing:
- Business Management - Maximize store and market sales by driving to targets through systems for strong customer service, tracking key performance indicators and applying analysis to merchandising strategies
- nventory Management - Develop inventory sourcing strategy in collaboration with business development team, keeping fresh and visually appealing stock in store
- Social Enterprise Marketplace - Curate social enterprise market goods, overseeing ordering and sales tracking
- Visual Merchandising - Manage training and systems for routine and seasonal display rotations - idea generation, promotions, displays
- Financial Reporting - Conduct analysis of financial and sales data to inform forecasting and strategy, report to Boston Site Director and leadership team
- Business Management - Maximize event revenue, efficiency, and quality by improving systems for strong client service, tracking key performance indicators and applying analysis to marketing and operations strategies
- Stakeholder Communication - Build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders, including clients, vendors, and community partners
- Rental Management - Manage event inquiries, rental contracts, payments, event layouts, client communication, and vendor communication in a timely and professional manner
- Internal Programming - Coordinate all aspects of internal event programming, including author talks, pop-up markets, performances, and more
- Financial Reporting - Conduct analysis of financial data to inform forecasting and strategy, report to Boston Site Director and leadership team
- Budget Management and Analytics - Manage annual marketing budget, tracking spending across channels and analyzing campaign results to inform marketing strategy
- Content Creation - Oversee on brand, consistent digital content creation for retail and event promotion
Youth Empowerment and Training:
- Ongoing Training - Develop and implement training materials and systems for youth to manage a bookstore and event space, and gain customer service experience. Work alongside youth to provide ongoing training, feedback and support for youth to improve performance
- Teamwork and Communication - Build a culture of team work, communication, continuous learning and meaningful feedback
- Accountability - Hold youth employees and adult staff accountable for all safety, policies and performance including attendance, punctuality, professionalism and efficiency with tasks on shift
- Inspire Creative Thinking - Empower youth to take positive risks implementing their own ideas within the business
Leadership and Team Management:
- Motivate, Inspire and Develop - Set clear goals, encourage teamwork and outline expectations by coaching team on store operations, merchandise placement, visual display and business analysis
- Operational Targets - Set clear targets for operational standards and facility management, ensuring safety and risk management
- Collaborate - Collaborate with other MTW Department Heads to drive business and create a culture of shared accountability, profitability and youth training
- Supervision and Training - Supervise 3-4 adult staff business training managers to run retail operations, vibrant public events, and rentals. Deliver clear performance expectations, routine supervision and performance evaluations with fair and timely feedback for growth and development
IDEAL APPLICANTS have
- Experience successfully managing retail and/or event operations, including managing budgets, vendors, clients, event layouts, contracts, visual merchandising, and inventory
- Experience planning or coordinating events from start to finish
- Experience supervising and training a team
- Strong collaboration, customer/client service, and communication skills
- Ability to communicate with people with a wide range of cultural backgrounds, training and experience - written and verbal
- Strong capacity to both lead and participate in cross-functional team
- Proficiency in Salesforce, Microsoft Office Suite, and Point of Sale platforms
- Experience with digital marketing, content creation, branding, and community outreach
- Physical activity required - candidate must be able to regularly lift boxes weighing approximately 25 lbs., move easily up and down stairs and ladders, and stand for prolonged periods of time
- Flexibility with scheduling to support staff on varying operation shifts; availability for some early mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays to align with store and event needs
Competitive compensation and benefits will be offered commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical and dental insurance, 401K, paid vacation and sick time, significant growth opportunities and professional development, and employee discounts.
MTW's Boston site is commuter friendly and is conveniently located near public transportation.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to and reference RD-LI in the subject line.
MORE THAN WORDS (MTW) is a nonprofit social enterprise that empowers youth, ages 16-24, who are in the foster care system, court involved, homeless, or out of school to take charge of their lives by taking charge of a business. MTW offers job training opportunities and transition support services to equip youth with first-hand experience in working as a team to operate retail and online businesses and to develop the tools to enable them to make progress around education, employment and life goals. The MTW model is premised on the belief that an actual job, one which provides hands-on, real-world training combined with high expectations, accountability and opportunities for personal development, is the best way to equip youth to gain marketable skills critical for success in school, work and life. ( for more about More Than Words)
More Than Words is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, citizenship status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.