SPED Education Specialist (2)
Posted 18 days 22 hours ago by Alpha Public Schools
Do you believe that all students can achieve academic success? Are you passionate about working with students and helping to change their educational trajectories? Teachers at Alpha have the opportunity to close the achievement gap for low-income students while collaborating with a joyful team of educators committed to sending our scholars to college.
As an Education Specialist you will join a team that upholds high expectations, fosters social development, and facilitates the intellectual growth of our scholars. Our Special Education team will approach instruction with patience, creativity, and a growth mindset, while using activities and instructional methods that will motivate our scholars.
We are seeking passionate individuals who embody Alpha's mission, vision and core beliefs- teachers who believe that all students can learn, that our scholars belong in college, and that student growth is a reflection of the teacher's practice. At Alpha, you will uphold a rigorous culture for all students. Alpha is fiercely entrepreneurial and we are focused on supporting our scholars as they grow into self-reliant leaders who will achieve success in their school, college, and career.
What you'll do…
Lead an academically rigorous classroom through activities such as:
- Provide specialized academic instruction to identified students with disabilities who meet the eligibility criteria established by federal and state law
- Provide push in, pull out, and/or consultative specialized academic instruction for students with exceptional needs
- Serve as a special education teacher, which includes creating lesson plans based on provided unit plans, planning assessments, grading and maintaining a gradebook, and supporting a small classroom of learners
- Collaborate with general education teachers to ensure consistent implementation of IEPs across all school environments
- Establish and maintain standards of student behavior for a productive learning environment during class sessions
- Assess and analyze students' performance and progress to ensure they are mastering developmental skills regularly, and responding to data to support all scholars to achieve academic success
- Develop and monitor behavioral systems and interventions to support scholars' behavioral growth
- Provide legally defensible implementation of services, supports, accommodations, and modifications as provided by students' IEPs
- Demonstrate knowledge of and compliance with special education laws, as well as school policies and procedures
- Participate in all professional development meetings/retreats and opportunities to further enhance your expertise as a teacher and leadership skills as an Alpha employee
- Collect data on and monitor individual student performance, adjusting instruction and supports as necessary to ensure progress toward IEP goals
- Utilize assessment results, both formal and informal, to develop legally defensible and data-driven IEPs
- Support school community in managing larger-scale Tier 2 behavior interventions
- Create a safe, fun and academically challenging classroom culture
- Hold all students to high expectations both academic and behavior
- Develop positive relationships with students, families, and colleagues
- Engage in professional development opportunities provided by Alpha
- Receive and implement feedback from experienced educational coaches
- A Bachelor's degree
- A valid (or eligible for) California Teaching or Education Specialist Credential (Special Education - Mild to Moderate)
You stand out by being...
- Committed: You are committed to working with students in traditionally underserved communities.
- Collaborative: You are team-oriented and are able to implement school-wide systems effectively and consistently.
- Organized: You are self-motivated and reliable, with the ability to plan and execute on tasks
- Experienced: You have taught in a low-income community