Networking with Python: Socket Programming for Communication
Posted 1 month 18 days ago by Raspberry Pi Foundation
Build your practical network application skills and understanding
On this course from the Raspberry Pi Foundation, youâ€™ll learn how to create programs that communicate over the internet.
Youâ€™ll explore the principles that industry professionals use when programming for networks, and learn how sockets are used to abstract the complexities of the internet.
In the final week, youâ€™ll design and create your own protocol for a networked quiz that youâ€™ll program using Python. This final challenge will help you to consolidate and apply your learning from the course.
This course is designed for teachers who deliver lessons on network principles in the classroom, at GCSE level or equivalent.
To take part in this course, you will need experience in the following areas of programming:
- Using functions, including parameters and returns
- Using multiple data types
- Debugging Python programs
It may also be beneficial to have some experience with classes and methods.
- Describe the layers of the TCP/IP model
- Produce Python programs using sockets
- Demonstrate a knowledge of the life cycle of a socket
- Compare reliable and unreliable communication
- Develop a protocol of your own
- Produce programs that use both TCP and UDP
- Investigate the causes of network errors
- Describe methods of correcting errors
Raspberry Pi Foundation - Latest Courses
Robotics With Raspberry Pi: Build and Program Your First Robot Buggy
- 3 weeks
Introduction to Web Development
- 3 weeks
Programming Pedagogy in Primary Schools: Developing Computing Teaching
- 4 weeks
Programming 103: Saving and Structuring Data
- 3 weeks
Creating an Inclusive Classroom: Approaches to Supporting Learners with SEND in Computing
- 2 weeks